Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Breakfast Club

(If you are reading this from Facebook, click here to see the complete blog)


I am now three weeks into the school year. Over all, it has been frustrating. It was very hard to establish routines when I missing very basic supplies the first week. Even now, we are supposed to have daily agendas that should be signed by parents every night; but they have still not arrived. My students have cubbies now, and most of their textbooks; but not their language arts textbook. The school received boxes with new textbooks this week, and I was so relieved. I had a time scheduled for my students to check out their new books, only to find out that morning that the 5th grade books weren’t actually there. My personal boxes that I sent to myself before I left on July 30th are still sitting in Bogota. And we will be starting a completely new schedule next week. On top of school, the other North American teachers and I have had other business to take care of, such as getting a bank account set up, getting a cedula (Colombian id card) and trying to get internet (which, at the moment none of us have).
The students themselves are very talkative. Part of this is the culture, it is always loud in the staff room. People talk over each other at lunch and in staff meetings. The majority of my students are very sweet and helpful. However, there are some definite behavior issues. These are students who literally do have a maid at home, who cleans up after them and takes care of all their wants and needs.
Last Saturday we had an open house. One of the counselors was with me to help with any language issues I might have, and also respond to concerns about a situation that happened last year. The director of the school also came by for a little bit. After talking about curriculum, etc, there were concerns. Basically I had a room full of parents yelling about how unfair it was that year after year the same few boys disrupt their childrens' learning and that the whole class gets punished for it. Fortunately, the director was in the room to address the parents. I understood the gist of what was being said, but certainly not everything, given that everyone, including the director, was talking in Spanish, all at the same time. (Did I mention everything echoes in my room?)
This week I learned that it is illegal in Colombia to remove a student from the classroom. It is discrimination. Also, yesterday the dean of discipline had a meeting with all of the 5th grade parents to discuss discipline and how parents could help support the process at school. Apparently this went well. I wasn’t there. However, I was pleasantly surprised when the dean showed me a list of students who would be going to Saturday detention. And so, as I leisurely enjoy my coffee this morning, it puts a smile on my face to think that at this very moment, certain students are spending their Saturday with the Dean of Discipline.
Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I didn't know it was illegal to remove a student. I'd better keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete