Sunday, August 30, 2009

Snow White, The Scarlet Letter and la Papelería



Previously, on Adventures in Colombia, I had written about the general lack of supplies available. I am now happy to inform you that I have many more resources to use! This is thanks to the large amount of supplies that students brought in during the first week. (for more info on this see my co-worker E’s blog)
One of the things on the supply list is a book in English for the classroom library. What a fabulous idea! Only a handful of kids actually brought in a book but I was grateful for those books. Mostly they are fairy tales, and not really at 5th grade level, but no complaints here. Wait a minute- what is this? The Scarlet Letter??!! How did that get in my room? In case you forgot, The Scarlet Letter is actually an A for Adulteress, and asks questions such as who is the father of Hester’s baby? So, really, why is it in my room? Well, it is re-written as an ESL book for adults. On the back of the book there is a chart that tells you what reading level the book is, and the reading level of this particular book is elementary. Not to worry- I don’t actually have the book on the shelf! :)
I have high hopes that my boxes will arrive this week. I sent myself lots of books, some house ware things and office supplies. In the meantime, the other new teachers and I finally made it to a papelería. I have never been so excited to be in an office supply store! We got carts from outside the store and I seriously felt like a kid on a shopping spree at Toys R’ Us.

File folders! Sharpies! Maps! Sticky Notes!!! (which are expensive, by the way!) Hooray!

3 comments:

  1. I got a copy of the Scarlet Letter too!
    I honestly think you should write about the dream you had about post-it notes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks E!
    I forgot to write about the dream- I meant too... but yes, I was so excited to find sticky notes that I actually dreamt about them!

    ReplyDelete