Tuesday, August 25, 2009

BarranquiJAZZ



One thing I’ve discovered is that everyone here in Colombia is genuinely friendly. The very first weekend after meeting everyone at Altamira, the other North American teachers and I had lots of invitations. We were able to spend time with our new co-workers as well as check out the music scene in Barranquilla. We went to a Battle of the Bands and also to a Jazz club. This weekend I went to the BarranquiJazz Festival.
The festival was made up of local and regional bands. One band was all 12-15 year-olds and the keyboardist had 3 plastic lawn chairs stacked together to sit on! I also really enjoyed all the different flutes being played. There were several different wooden flutes including one called a gaita. The gaita is a long wooden flute that is held like a recorder. It looks like it would be fun to play….
Supposedly, there is a bigger jazz festival in September. I was not expecting to find jazz in Colombia, but I’m glad I did! Actually, it is not just jazz, but also cumbia. Although I don't particularly know much about jazz, I did learn a little about cumbia:
· It is from the Caribbean coast of Colombia
· It originated from African slaves in Cartagena
· It includes European instruments as well as:
a tambora- similar to a marching bass drum
an alegre- similar to a djembe (jem-bay)
a llamador- smaller than the alegre
a gaita or flauta de millo

No comments:

Post a Comment