Monday, August 17, 2009

Sparsely Furnished- hogar dulce hogar







August 13, 2009
Before arriving in Barranquilla, I really didn’t know what to expect from my new ‘sparsely furnished’ apartment. I was certainly not expecting much… a bed… a refrigerator… a table… maybe a microwave. So, I was very excited to see that my new apartment not only had all of those things, but also a couch and chair, a washing machine, 2 tv’s, 2 bathrooms and 3 bedrooms!
Unfortunately, the people who lived here before did not clean very well and left a whole bunch of stuff. My mom and I bought lots of cleaning supplies on our first trip to the store.

For many days the apartment was in a state of chaos as we cleaned out the closets, the kitchen cabinets, the bathrooms, and washed all of the dishes. After all of the cleaning we were finally able to unpack and rearrange. It is so nice to come home to a clean, functional apartment! Soon I should have both a cell phone and internet, then I won’t be quite so cut off from the rest of the world.

Other interesting things about my apartment:

1. The kitchen sink has a filter that looks like a cow. (still need to have that checked to see if it actually filters)
2. The window by the washing machine has curtains with cows on them. I enjoy them a lot.
3. There is no dryer!!! There is a drying rack. Methinks I will become an expert iron-er.
4. Apparently I have the only set of keys... (see Dave's blog )
AND
5. It’s in South America!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment