Sunday, September 13, 2009

Cuando no hay energía, no hay agua

(If you are reading this from Facebook, click view original post.)
 
I swear I am not making this stuff up! It actually happens!
After about 24 hours sin agua at my apartment (this is what happens when you don’t pay your bills) I was excited to be able to take a shower in the morning. However, when I arrived at school I was told that there was no power.

Umm… do we know how long we’ll be without power? Will we cancel school? Should I open the windows or leave them closed?

Well, it could just be an hour or two, but it might be the whole day. If it’s the whole day, we’ll cancel school. Open your windows.

Okay- off to my classroom which at 7:00 in the morning is too hot and stuffy even for me. Normally I turn on the air-conditioning before I do anything else because the room takes awhile to cool down. Although the students come in essentially right after I do, so it is still too warm when they come in. As I let students in the door, my co-teacher tells me that there is an assembly to go to. We listen to some personero (ASB) speeches and then my class has Sociales with another teacher. I am pretty happy that I will not be teaching all morning with no air-conditioning.

I go to the teacher’s lounge and use the restroom. The toilet kind of flushes. I turn on the sink. Nothing. No hay agua? Yup. Cuando no hay electricidad, no hay agua. Of course not. Although now it occurs to me that there will not be any coffee either…

The good news is that my students got to pick up their books today. Yay! Finally! The rest of the teachers materials, well, they should be here soon.

At 10:00 the power comes back on the rest of the day is almost like un día normal. One of the Colombian teachers in our carpool assures Elizabeth and I that stuff like this doesn’t actually happen that often in Colombia. I’m not sure if I believe her….


{By the way, I wrote this on Wednesday, but didn't post it because my faithful internet connection I've been stealing has been MIA for the last few days. }

2 comments:

  1. Karen, I am really enjoying and lapping up every word you write - and feeling for you, too! Your stories, along with Elizabeth's, fill in plenty of fascinating details I haven't necessarily heard from that third North American!! Cheers and good wishes from xave's mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks xave's mom! I'm glad you're enjoying my blog :)

    ReplyDelete