Monday, May 3, 2010

Oh, yeah... I live here

(If you are reading this from Facebook, click view original post)



This weekend one of Dave’s friends came to visit from Canada. So, it was a busy weekend. It was fun have someone visit even though it was one of Dave’s friends- not mine. It was definitely a reminder of the fact that I live here. I may be an extranjera, but I’m not a tourist. I’m not just traveling. This is my life. These are the people I hang out with, the food I eat, the places I like to go. I don’t know… it just feels reassuring. Particularly when I think about the fact that when I got here, I didn’t know anyone, I didn’t know the city, I didn’t know basic things like how to get internet or pay the bills. Besides, I realized as we were telling stories about Barranquilla and school- we have really great stories! It really has been a year of Adventures in Colombia! I’m sure no matter how long you live in another country there will always be things that are surprising or that don’t really make sense to you, but it’s nice to realize that I am settled into my life here.
It’s also good to know that there are only 26 more school days! After a long, hard school year, full of long, hard school days, I feel like I can breathe easier knowing the end is in sight. It’s time to start wrapping things up both in school and outside of school. What do I still want to do before I leave Colombia? Where do I want to go for the last 3 day weekend? I like these kinds of questions.

Elizabeth and Yoyi


Me and Fatima

Going dancing at La Troja- el mejor salsero

Dave and Fatima

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I didn't know that you'd posted about Ciudad Perdida too. We do live here. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete