Sunday, May 9, 2010

Misa and Mariachis at the Mall

(If you are reading this from Facebook, click view original post)

Today is Sunday and Mother's Day. I walked to church this morning, but found out that the second service had been canceled in order to have a special Mother's Day service with everyone. But I didn’t know that, so of course, I got there right when service was over. I decided to walk to the grocery store which is in a centro commercial. It’s a mall, and there’s usually hardly anyone there. But today when I walked in I heard music coming from upstairs, so I went to check it out.

The food court had been converted to a Mother’s Day mass! The tables had been moved aside and the chairs put into rows. The place was packed. All the chairs were taken. There are actually random events that are held at malls here pretty regularly. Not a whole lot at this mall, probably because not very many people go there in the first place. Although, I think they had a novena thing around Christmas time… and something for Valentine’s Day. But the idea of taking your mom to the mall for mass seemed really funny to me!

I watched people take communion and say some prayers… and then a mariachi band came! Why didn’t I bring my camera?! The mariachi band took their place up by the altar and began to play as the priest walked around sprinkling holy water on people in the “congregation.” Soon everyone, including the food court venders, was clapping along. After the mariachis finished, I had to wonder… would this Mother’s Day excursion include brunch at the Hamburger Corral? Or PikoRico? Maybe just some soft serve ice cream? Turns out most people probably had better things to do with the rest of their Mother’s Day because I only saw a handful of people get into lines for food.

Feliz Dia de las Madres!

No comments:

Post a Comment