Saturday, May 8, 2010

Junior

(If you are reading this from Facebook, click view original post)


While Dave’s friend was visiting we went to a Junior game. Junior is Barranquilla’s futbol team, so of course, it is a huge deal here. Obviously, I’m not a sports person, but it seemed like something that should be done while I’m here. It was fun- lots of people in red and white striped shirts, lots of cheering and booing. Good times. Dave and Ben had to check their belts in at the beginning of the game which led to the belt situation. It was raining when we first got there and I think that might have been the coldest I’ve ever been outside in Barranquilla. But really, when I say cold, I mean not hot. I mean I was totally comfortable hanging out in shorts, flip-flops and a tank top.

Junior won the game. It was funny when it ended because it seemed pretty anti-climatic. They just stopped playing. I wasn’t even sure the game was over. The Junior fans all seemed upset about something, but Dave said they won the game. I don’t know, there wasn’t a score board. So here are my pictures. Just bear in mind that this is sports photography by me...

It's raining!

Here is Junior's mascot- Willie the Shark. He came to school a few months ago.

But Willie had to share the field with the pasta-advertising Muñeca and a giant hand.

There were venders selling yummy snacks like potato chips and plantain chips.

Even venders like to watch the game...

These first aid guys take head injury prevention seriously.

I'm still not sure why this section was called Bloke Central, but I love the sign. I think these really are the priorities for many Barranquilleros. God, my old lady and Junior.

Dave's friend Ben got to practice his Spanish while he was here, and sometimes he would ask some questions. Like when he saw this sign and wondered why it was talking about eggs. Little did he know that huevos doesn't always mean eggs... sometimes it means balls. So, no we don't have eggs, we have the balls to do it right!

Oh right, there were people playing soccer, too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment