Saturday, February 20, 2010

Carnaval

(If you are reading this from facebook, click view original post)


Finally, the biggest event in Barranquilla! A chance to see beautiful costumes, amazing dances and take lots of pictures!

Sad news. My camera was stolen while I was at Carnavals. I am still sad about it. Not so much the actual camera, but the fact that I lost all of the pictures that I took at the school carnaval, and I didn't even get to take any at the real carnaval. The pictures I would have been the most excited to take and the most excited to share, were not to be. The pictures here were taken by Jill, a Canadian teacher visiting Barranquilla for a few weeks. While I am definately glad to have these pictures (thanks Jill!), it just isn't the same as having your own. Especially the ones that I took of my students. I had some great pics of students getting ready and hanging out in their costumes in the classroom. I even had them all sit in their desks in their costumes because they were so cute like that!

I had been warned before Carnaval to be very careful with my stuff, and not to put anything in a pocket because it would get stolen. Also, there was this spray foam stuff and I was warned that some people would spray it in people's faces and then steal their stuff. So, I thought I was being as careful as I could be when I chose a small purse that zipped up and didn't bring my wallet. However, I got foamed. I didn't even realize they were targetting me because they sprayed a whole crowd of people. Everyone was pushing and I didn't notice anything (and I was trying to wipe the foam off my eyes) until things calmed down slightly and I realized my purse was unzipped. No more camera. :(

Carnaval was pretty spectacular with all the different costumes and dances. My co-worker and friend Tania took us around and explained the costumes and everything. Tania and her friend Roberto even told my sob story about the camera and got us into better seats. Unfortunately, when I look back at Carnaval, I am left with the sinking feeling that it was not a safe place to be.



Tania and Roberto, our guides to Carnaval.


I love these costumes. They are coyongos, a type of bird that was a symbol of this years carnaval.


The Marimonda is one of the main carnaval costumes of Barranquilla. Sometimes even the vehicles dress up!


Guiselle, the P.E. teacher performing Cumbia... while balancing an aguila on her head!

No comments:

Post a Comment