Tuesday, October 20, 2009

To San Lorenzo in the back of a pickup

(If you are reading this from Facebook, click view original post)

I am just now getting around to posting some more pics from my trip to Minca. Better late than never, right?
Anyways. Dave and I were told that we should try to head up a little higher to the town of San Lorenzo.From there, we were told, we could actually see the snow-capped peaks of the Sierras and it would be even colder than Minca. (It's like Canada! Well, maybe not quite Canada...) There is a public transportation option that leaves in the morning and takes you part way there and you walk the rest. So, in the morning we went to get some coffee and figure out the plan for the day. While at the cafe, we met a family who was headed up to visit their aunt and uncle close to San Lorenzo. And that's how we ended up in the back of a pickup headed to San Lorenzo.
After a very bumpy ride (public transportation? really? on this road?), we arrived at the aunt and uncle's house. They were all really nice. We talked with them for a little while, then walked and explored further up the road. We never actually made it to San Lorenzo, but we did see very beautiful scenary. We went as far as the El Dorado bird reserve, and then turned around to catch our ride back to Minca.

I think if I lived on this road, I'd travel by horse too!


We crossed lots of little streams and waterfalls like this one.

The family told me that these are a type of sunflower, but they're like shrubs!


We saw sooo many butterflies.

The family told me that this flower is called siete cueros.

I think this is crocosmia.


Can you see the purple siete cueros up in the tree?

Cute little birds enjoying a snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment